Senior Health & Safety Advisor
|£48,000 - £50,000 + Package
|Civils, Construction, Highways
Senior Health & Safety Advisor
Competitive salary + full benefits package
Sphere Solutions are currently looking for an experienced health and safety advisor to work for a large, tier-one civil engineering contractor on a highways scheme in South Wales.
Department: Health & Safety
Reporting to: Health and Safety Manager
Purpose of the job
- Support the Construction project teams and supply chain on H&S matters and in particular guide and supporting the construction teams throughout the construction phase from a Health, Safety and Well-being perspective with the support of the project’s health and safety manager.
- Ensure health, safety and welfare are promoted throughout the project and coaching and advising techniques are delivered to strategic, risk management and operational staff and its appointed supply chain.
- Ensure the Construction Phase Plan, Integrated Management System and contractual safety requirements are effective and implemented across the project, where gaps are identified advice must be delivered to ensure corrective actions are taken. This will ensure compliance with statutory legislation and regulations, help deliver the project KPI’s, aims and objectives and ensure the workforce’s health and safety.
- Promote the health and safety policy, values, leadership and ownership of safety and wellbeing
Accountabilities and Key Responsibilities
Health and Safety Team members are accountable to the Future Valleys Construction health and safety manager for the promotion of safe and healthy working practices and for monitoring the implementation of Future Valleys Construction policies and procedures, In particular:
- Experience in auditing for ISO45001 around accreditation requirements as well as other relevant sector-specific quality standards.
- Contribute to the growth and development of other health & safety advisors/teams.
- Engage with key stakeholders on the project and wider business.
- Lead construction phase plan briefings to ensure all new members are aware and understand the construction phase plan for the project.
- Lead and assist with the pre-start/PQQ information and meetings for new contractors who are due to join the project.
- Support the Health and Safety manager in the progression/improvement of procedures/policies through the duration of the project.
- Promoting a proactive approach to H&S management including regular site tours & contact with General Foremen & agents to ensure issues are clearly understood and effectively managed.
- Advise supervisors and operatives at sites, depots and offices upon statutory health and safety requirements;
- assist in the preparation and development of risk assessments (which include health-related assessments) method statements and project management plans
- Provide support in their role as a representative concerning the principal contractor’s duties under CDM.
- The role will require the post holder to have excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of current UK Health and Safety legislation and best practice
- Member of IOSH and relevant qualification at this level (NEBOSH Diploma/ NVQ 5/6)
- Have experience of working on major construction/civils projects.
- Experience in delivering training modules is desirable.
- Knowledge of a variety of occupational environments, such as works at height, confined spaces, arrangement of equipment, plant and people, temporary works etc.
- Knowledge of safety devices to use in conjunction with tools and equipment in the workplace.
- Ability to evaluate safety practices, procedures, programmes, attitudes and awareness and to recommend methods of improvement.
- Ability to maintain favourable public relations.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Computer literate with experience in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook
- CSCS Card
If you are interested and would like further details, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
You are applying for the following:
Title:- Senior Health & Safety Advisor
Location:- Merthyr Tydfil
"*" indicates required fields